Bought both the Hero 7 and Hero 8, my thoughts.
    JimmyAndreson
    Message(s) : 1

Bought both the Hero 7 and Hero 8, my thoughts.

par JimmyAndreson » 10 mars 2021

Some of my thoughts on the 7 Black vs 8 Black. I am coming from owning a rock solid 4 Silver, that thing has been everywhere and survived everything. I am big on photography and carry a full frame mirrorless camera around which doubles as video, but the Silver 4 was getting long in the tooth and I wanted something that is better focused on video without me 'thinking' about it too much. I ended up getting the Hero 7 Black deal at costco for $199. After a week of using it, I was really happy and impressed, its a huge jump from the 4, but before commiting to the 7 and buying accessories, I thought I would give the 8 a try. The difference was really only $70 considering the bundle at Costco includes a battery which I would have bought anyway.

I have only spent two days with the 8 but I am sold. With all the noted differences between the 7 and 8, the only one that I personally cared about was TimeWarp 2.0 and the realtime button. But after some use, all the other stuff is a pretty big improvement. HyperSmooth 2.0 with boost is a good 40-50% better than HyperSmooth 1.0, the presets option to save video settings is HUGE to me, and TimeWarp 2.0 auto speed is one less thing for me to think about. I am still worried about a non removable lens and the crappy built in feet. But I bought a roll cage which will stay on all the time and will buy a waterproof housing which i will use when doing anything extreme or underwater, so no crazy pressure should ever be put on the bottom feet. All in all, the only real concern is the lack of replacable lens, but hopefully a roll cage + waterproof housing are enough protection, sucks that you have to buy those seperately.

I will add the 7 is a fine camera, I would not upgrade from 7 to 8 if my out of pocket difference was huge. But if you are on the fence between the two, try both if you can.